10 tips for finding the best time to buy baby items
1. Take your time
Many parents start shopping as soon as they hear the news about a new baby on the way. It makes sense because starting early would mean that you will probably have more time to spread out your total costs. However, it is not considered wise to start shopping early because waiting for the right time could give you the chance to shop around when the prices are low. Apart from this, you will also receive a bunch of baby items as a gift from your friends and family. You have nine whole months to shop for your baby, so don’t rush in.
2.Consider the chances of pregnancy loss.
There is always a chance of an unfortunate miscarriage. This is another reason why you should not jump into buying baby items right after hearing the news.
Many superstitious people still believe that buying baby items early will bring bad luck. This is not true; Pregnancy loss occurs due to some sort of physical problem linked with the baby, and as a mother, there is nothing you can do to avoid it.
3.While You Wait
While you are waiting for the right time to purchase essential baby items for your new baby, it is a good idea to start making a list of your baby and maternity needs. So, when you are not shopping, you can always spend some time in deciding which brand of disposable diapers you will be using, which type of stroller, crib, bassinet, or cradle will work for your family, and which baby product brands are the best in the market.
Start by reading online reviews and educate yourself so that you can become the best parent for your new baby.
4.At least wait until the first trimester has passed.
The first thing parents should realize is that it takes nine months for a baby to arrive. It is more than enough time to identify needs, conduct thorough research, and purchase the items. So, it is not smart to panic and think that you are in a time crunch. The majority of parents prefer waiting until their first trimester has passed, which is roughly around three months. This gives them enough time to evaluate their needs before jumping into buying everything they like for their baby.
To answer the question, “when is the best time to buy baby items?” we would say that the best time is to begin shopping for the baby items at the beginning of the third trimester. We know that this time frame will make many excited to-be parents very upset, but there is a good reason why we suggest this.
The third trimester is the best time to start and finish the major part of your shopping because the majority of mothers feel more comfortable as they have passed the rough first and second trimesters. Another reason is that by this time you will know the sex of your baby, which will allow you to shop accordingly.
Another important thing to remember is that if you come across an exciting sale or discount on a big-ticket item like a stroller or a crib, then it is entirely okay to shop that item ahead of time, even if it means purchasing it during the second trimester.
5.Essential items to purchase during the first trimester
Although we do not suggest shopping for the baby during the first trimester, we highly recommend purchasing the following items that will help prepare you for your pregnancy.
- Pregnancy books:Since you have been granted maternity leave, it is your duty to utilize this time to learn everything you need to know about pregnancy. There are a number of pregnancy books available on the market, but “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” is a must-read.
- Body lotion:Dry skin is one of the main concerns of pregnant women. And it freaks them even more when they start seeing stretch marks. This is why you need to be ready with baby lotion. Take care of your skin early so that you can minimize these problems as soon as they emerge.
- Pregnancy journal:If you are pregnant, you definitely need a pregnancy journal. This will help you record your feelings and thoughts during this period. You can also write down any symptoms you might have felt during pregnancy that you would like to share with your doctor. Apart from this, you can use the pregnancy journal to make a list of the best baby name, nursery colors, and much more.
- A comfortable bra:We understand that you are in your early pregnancy days, and you are probably months away from producing milk, but your breasts can still be fairly tender throughout your pregnancy. This is why you should avoid wearing your regular bra and replace them with something more comfortable.
6.Shopping list for the second and third trimester
Once your third trimester begins, you can start looking for the following big items for your baby. You can even purchase some of these items during the second trimester if you are getting an amazing deal you cannot reject.
- Crib/bassinet:A crib or a bassinet will be an integral part of your nursery. Make sure you get a high-quality product that meets the safety standards.
- Car seat:The majority of parents don’t really buy a car seat because they think it is not an essential baby item. This is not true; an infant car seat is probably the most important item you could buy for your baby. It is a safety product that you definitely need when hitting the road with your baby.
- Stroller:A baby stroller is another essential product that you must own because it will help you carry your baby around in the malls and grocery stores. There are countless varieties of baby strollers on the market. You can choose one, depending on your needs. A good quality stroller will last for years, and it will grow with your baby.
- Infant clothes:You are going to need a lot of infant clothes because babies are famous for being messy. But you should avoid stocking too much because many healthy babies will outgrow them more quickly than you imagined.
- Diapers:Diapers are, without a doubt, the most important baby. You should stock up a considerable amount of diapers, but you should avoid getting too many in the smallest sizes.
- Wipes:Baby wipes are also very important because they can help prevent any kind of diaper rash. You should do your research and get the wipes that are highly recommended by parents.
- Toys:Even though a newborn baby cannot play with the toys, they can still experience them. Babies love to watch their parents play with the toys until they are old enough to play with them themselves.
- Others:You should be ready with other essential baby items such as baby shampoo, baby oil, baby lotion, baby nail clippers, baby brushes, was clothes and towels and washcloths, and small milk bottles.
7.Do your research
When its time to purchase the big-ticket items, it is important to do your research before diving right into purchasing the item. The right way to research about any product is to go through buying guides and online reviews. Make sure you read everything about that product, including its pros and cons. Also, read about the user complaints and how they were resolved because you might run into similar problems.
After finalizing a product, the next step is to find the best price for it. For the best possible prices, you need to stay active online, and as soon as you hear about a discount, you need to be ready with your credit card out. You can always choose a used product if the prices are too high and they are not coming down any time soon. Make sure you constantly check prices in both online and physical stores. This is because you will find many products online, but some of them will only be available in the physical stores.
8.Don’t buy baby clothing in early pregnancy.
During the early period of pregnancy, you won’t even know whether you are having a girl, a boy, or even twins. This is why it may not be the right time to choose outfits with particular colors associated with the genders. Skipping buying baby clothes early is a great way to save some money that you will need for other essential items.
If you are very excited to buy baby clothes in the early days of pregnancy, then you can purchase a few gender-neutral outfits for your baby. Also, avoid buying a lot of clothes in the same size because babies can grow extremely fast.
Infant clothes are also one of the most popular baby shower items. There is a very high possibility that you will get a lot of baby clothes as a gift from your friends and family. Ensure that you have saved the receipts because it will help you replace the items with the ones that fit perfectly and look even better.
9.Always go for gender-neutral items.
First of all, you should avoid shopping for clothes and other baby stuff right until you find out about its gender. Typically, the anomaly scan which takes place during the twenty-week mark is when parents get to know their baby’s sex.
Even though you are completely convinced about your baby’s sex, you can get a big surprise from a late ultrasound image or even in the labor room. This is why it is advised to choose gender-neutral items, especially when it comes to clothing.
If you are purchasing baby clothes, then search for one-piece outfits that can zip up. These simple zipper clothes will save you a lot of trouble and frustration, especially when you are incredibly tired or in a rush.
10.Don’t stress too much.
We hope that now you have a good idea of how and when to start shopping for baby items in a way that will save you the most money. The most important thing is to avoid stressing out.
Having a baby is the most overwhelming experience, and you must be going through a lot of emotions as we speak, but it is a horrible idea to stress out about purchasing baby items. Keep yourself calm and stress-free all the time. If you cannot control your emotions and you feel the needing to disregard our timeline, then please go ahead and do whatever that makes you feel happy and satisfied.
The best way of shopping for baby items is slowly and gradually. This slow approach will give you plenty of time to conduct thorough research on your options so that you can become more familiar with the products and be more confident in your final purchases. If you follow our tips, your pregnancy period will be a lot more efficient, and ultimately you will end up becoming well-prepared parents for your new baby.
Always remember that it takes nine months for the baby to arrive. There is more than enough time for you to shop for the baby. This is why it is advised to take some time, avoid rushing into buying everything you want for your baby right away, and, most importantly, stay free from any kind of stress or tension because it might affect your baby’s health negatively.